Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Silk Flowers

I had a call yesterday from a good friend who told me the worrisome and sad news that a mutual friend had been diagnosed with lymphoma. I wanted to make a card, so last night I tried out a technique which is new to me: tearing strips of silk to make flower petals. I used a piece of habotai that I had dyed a few days earlier, with the intent of making flowers, but not on cards. I was casting about for a background, and my eyes landed on this piece of fabric, which had been used as the clean-up cloth for many a soy silk fusion project. It has a bit of sparkle in it, and I love the way the blues and greens just sort of float on the fabric. The flower stem was left over from another project, and then I free-motioned stitched in the leaves and the grass.

I left the edge stitching until this morning and then decided I'd follow Gerrie's tutorial for the satin stitch binding that she uses on some of her quilts and postcards. I really like the way this turned out!

PEACE

5 comments:

Sue B said...

Lovely!

Vicki W said...

Very timely! I have a postcard design in my head and needed a flower motif - this technique will be perfect for the effect I was after. Hope you don't mind if I borrow this flower technique.

joyce said...

The postcard turned out very well. Interesting technique. I hope all goes well with your friend.

Gerrie said...

That i beautiful and the edging looks spectacular. Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope all goes well for her.

English Maestra said...

the post card is so beautiful. such a creative person you are.
the card will make your friend smile.