Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veterans Day

November 11, 2007


Those were different times and different wars.


I am proud of my veterans:




My Dad and my Mom (no, she did not serve). He must have been home on leave. He enlisted right after Pearl Harbor, even though he was too old. And he and Mom were apart for the better part of four years. Dad spent a lot of time in China, repairing B26s. When he came home he told my Mother he never wanted to see rice served in our house.......so I never ate rice until I went away to school!

Here they are again:




and here is C:

I hunted high and low for an official Air Force photo of him, and could find only this one of him in his flight suit in Thailand. We were married eight days before he left for southeast Asia, and were apart for 9 months, then spent two wonderful weeks together on R&R in Bangkok. In discussing the lack of photos, we decided it was because Vietnam was such an unpopular war that we just didn't take a whole lot of pictures of C in uniform.


They fought the good fight, we were lucky that they returned home to us, and now my wish is for

WORLD PEACE

3 comments:

English Maestra said...

what wonderful pics of your parents. "somewhere" you will find a photo of C. in uniform. he was/is a handsome dude! we are proud of all the veterans.

Eva Hagbjärn said...

Lovely pictures of your parents and C. Luckily I haven’t experienced any war. The Second World War was ended before I was born and Sweden hasn’t participated in any war since 1814.
We have celebrated Father’s Day here today =)

xo Eva

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos. Because I come from a farming background, I have no family who has served in the war. Mr C's dad was in WWII. He was in the Philipines.

Are you praying for rain today? We have had plenty and lots of wind to go with it.