Friday, April 16, 2010

Batiking with Malka

Last week I stumbled upon a new blog - new to me, that is, but she has a tremendous fan club!  I was first struck by the great motifs that Malka uses, and also her vibrant colors.  I needed to learn more.....and then when I saw that she had recently written a book, I immediately ordered it!


I must say that I have not been disappointed with her book and I'm thrilled with my results!

Once again: 7:30 this morning, I had hung my dyed and waxed pieces out on the line to dry



I gardened all morning, took my Mom out for a drive to enjoy the gorgeous flowering trees and azaleas in town, and then came home and dewaxed most of my pieces.  
Here they are on the line drying once more:


I was worried about the piece below.  I had low immersion dyed this one in yellow several years ago, so I waxed it, over dyed it with fuchsia, attempted to discharge it (and actually it worked better than I thought at the time), and then I overdyed it with blue.  I was sure that it would appear very purple, but it doesn't.  WooHoo!!


Now I'll be the first to admit, it isn't a great piece, but I was working with a 'has been' fabric, so what the heck!  Besides, I'm just playing around here!

Now this next one is a piece that I'm thrilled with, as it will work well in my duvet cover





and here's another one that I'm very happy with


So, if you want to make some cool batiks, buy the book and get going!!!

PEACE

7 comments:

Gerrie said...

Wonderful fabrics. What are you going to do with these?

connie said...

I love, love, what you have done. It is really nice seeing them out on the line like that. I have been a follower of Malka's blog for a while now. I love her work. The colors and shapes are wonderful.

Jeannie said...

Wow! Gorgeous fabrics. I really like the blue with the large spiral. Tempting me with new ways to spend money - eh? The book sounds wonderful, I'll have to see what is left after the IRS and CPA are finished.

Vicki W said...

Ooooh, I'm going to have to check that book out!

Cate Rose said...

They're fabulous, Judy. Great patterning!

Barbara said...

Love your beautiful material! The geometric patterns are very cool.

Wearable art!

Peace!

Margarita Korioth said...

I just love your fabrics dear Judy. Beautiful batiks you have here.