Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Costa Rican Memories

We had such a glorious time in Costa Rica that I decided to make a wall hanging to commemorate that vacation. I batiked and dyed the background, quilted it, then pieced and added the birds and animals. Today I finished raw edge appliqueing those guys onto the background, and then I "escape-hatch" finished the back. Tomorrow I will bead the eyes on the various critters. Voila:

Here are a couple of closeups of the critters:


The fabulous Toucan

The Quetzal

The Macaw

The Monkey!...you pick the species....we saw three different species in the wild and they were all amazing to me, so this guy is pretty species-nonspecific!!!

Ahhhhhh, the regal Tortoise, in remembrance of Tortuguero, of course!!!!

The fabulous OWL!!! We see a few owls here at home, but when we spotted this fabulous Crested Owl, I was in Seventh Heaven!!! I will never forget that morning! Thanks, Sergio!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

WOW!! I just LOVE this piece of handicraft! You really are a an accomplished artist!
XO



P.S. People are sick!
Just logg in and through the "comment" above in the trash bin were it belong! Any comment to things like this is unnecessary!

Gerrie said...

You need to get rid of that anonymous comment!

OK, how did I miss this? It must have been before I got your new blog on my blog roll. Any way. Those critters are all fabulous as is the back ground. (I need you to go to settings and check pop up comments so that I can see what I am talking about!) I think you captured the essence of the rain forest. I might like to see more vines or foliage, but all in all it is gorgeous. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.