Friday, June 15, 2007

Hail Yes!!

Look what we got:


Hail may be a common occurence in your neck of the woods, but it isn't here in Northeast Georgia. We are in the midst of a drought and so when the heavens opened the other evening, we were ecstatic!!!


It's been a rough week and a half for my Mom, me and C. She is still in the hospital and will remain there until at least Monday. She is a very strong willed gal, and she is giving this the old college try, but when you are 90, you don't just bounce back like you used to! Emotionally, I am ready for just about anything at this point. I leave her hospital bed one evening and think she won't make it through the night, and then the next morning I find her sitting up in a chair eating breakfast with her cute little grin on her face. Then the next morning she is semi comatose in the bed, groaning and of course, unable to eat at all. Her condition seems to change day to day, so I'm never sure what I'm going to find when I arrive in the morning. If she is discharged on Monday, she will go to a skilled care nursing facility, and thankfully, this was her choice. Her old chum Ruby surprised her with a visit this afternoon, and it was very bitter-sweet. Ruby lived across the hall from Mom at assisted living, and they sat at the same table for meals. They've been through a lot together. This afternoon Ruby sat in her wheelchair next to Mama, in the hospital bed. They held hands and cried, and talked, and laughed and cried some more. Reminds me of the old Simon and Garfunkle tune "Old Friends" (sat on a park bench like bookends, etc.). It was very sad.

So I haven't blogged.

Too sad................loosing my oldest bestest friend.

We don't have to say a word............we know what the other is thinking.

I love her so much.

When I got home from the hospital this evening, C said he thought he might go to an organ recital at our church and did I want to go? The last thing I wanted to do was go out again, and the thing I wanted most was to goof off in my studio ALONE. He and I are good like that...........he's my next best friend, but usually my very bestest friend!

So, I fiddled around with this:


The dark spots you see in the green background are large chunks of sea salt, as I was salting and painting and photographing.

C came home from the concert and took a look. "Needs to be more vibrant" he said. "Really?" I said....he is usually telling me my stuff is too bright!

So:


It's not great, it's not even good, but it's therapy: the silk and the dyes interacting again...not to mention the salt and the alcohol!!

Then we took Barker for a short walk down the little lane next to our house. The sun was setting and leaving some marvelous colors on the clouds:

Now it's time for a late dinner, and off to bed! I know it's not physically healthy, but mentally it's the best!!!

PEACE!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can only hope that we will live to be 90 and fiesty. My mother died when she was my age which makes this year difficult for me. I miss her and envy the long time you have had with your mother. I wish you both comfort during this time. Love the sky photo.

Helen said...

courage sweetie. that's a fine image of your Mum and her old friend.

Eva Hagbjärn said...

Love you all and will be thinking of you. Hope you can feel that!
XO Eva

Diane said...

C was right...while I do find the "pink" appealing, the other has a stronger contrast and looks more lily-like.

My very best to all of you.
xxoo
Diane