Monday, August 27, 2007

Catching Up

The weekend of entertaining was a blast, but I've gotta tell you, I was worn out by Sunday afternoon....even took a nap, which is unheard of for me!!!
Our friend Bobbie brought me this adorable balloon on Friday night, and it is still flying high over our livingroom:
On Saturday morning, I was busy making batch #4 of sorbet.....lime, this time:

I think it took 10 limes to yield the 2 cups of juice necessary for this particular sorbet recipe. Here it is in the ice cream maker:


One of my favorite things to do before a dinner party is set my diningroom table. Of course, with back-to-back affairs, I don't get to enjoy the 2nd night's setting for very long. Here it is:

I love my chicken plates.......a friend found them for me in Myrtle Beach, SC several years ago, and I use them just for special events. I'm using my funky citrus-stamped napkins, to tie in with the sorbets. I like to entertain rather informally, but also like to use my silver and crystal....why not!!

I decided that I wouldn't bind the table runner in the traditional manner after all. I used Gerrie's technique of satin stitching, although it didn't work as well as I would have liked on this piece. I got many compliments on the table runner both nights, which made it a lot of fun.

We spent last night at the condo in Atlanta....just wanted a change of scenery. When we got home this afternoon, there was a package in the mail for me from my new friend Provie in Daphne, AL. She had emailed me last week and said she was sending me a few "chachkas". This had been a new word to me and many others at our Pamela Allen class . In case you don't know, chachka is the Yiddish term for an inexpensive, showy trinket. Provie makes and sells incredible assemblages. You can see Provie and some of her work here.

This is an overview pic of my chachkas:


and here are a few closeups:


Provie does a lot of religious pieces, so that explains a few of the above.

I will use a lot of these guys on one of my Pamela Allen pieces:




Look at these, aren't they just a riot:



And last but certainly not least, these little gems:




Thanks Provie! It was great being with you, and so much fun to open up my package and find these chachkas!!

PEACE





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, would my Lisa ever love to have that package!!

FYI, for the satin stitch edge to work effectively, the piece needs to be heavily fused for stiffness or a piece of stabilizer can be added between the batting and the back!

Looks great, anyway!

Joyce said...

Your dinner parties look like a lot of fun. I agree that company is fun but exhausting. Nothing a little extra nap won't cure though! Love the little gems. It will be interesting to see how you use them.