Friday, December 05, 2008

Forty Five

We went to the Tara Theater this afternoon to see Milk.



It's so difficult for me to believe that 30 years have passed since Harvey Milk's untimely death. How many of you remember where you were when you heard the news? We were living in Miami at the time, and I recall how totally outraged we were at Anita Bryant...and how embarrassed I was that we were 'neighbors'!

Proposition 6 and Proposition 8 aren't so very dissimilar: folks trying to legislate the lives of other folks who aren't just like they are, and ultimately their happiness and well-being. How sad. My hope is that one day we will all respect one another's differences, and respect eachother no matter.

My friend Durwood sent this to me today:

Proposition 8: The Musical

Enjoy!


PEACE

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

We were living in the Bay area of California and I remember it as if it were yesterday. One of those days that is forever etched in my mind. I had finished teaching a bread making class at the Y and turned the radio on in my car and was glued to the news after that.

We are hoping to see the movie next week.

Eva said...

We have a gay lord mayor in Hamburg and one in Berlin, who was outed; his answer was just: "I'm gay, and that's alright." Someone outed the Hamburg lord mayor in order to destroy his career, but in the next vote he was even more successful.
There is discrimination, still, but something has definitely changed.