Monday, May 25, 2009

KC, Day Two

Kerr Grabowski began the morning (well, now yesterday morning's class) with a demo on using charcoal, graphite, watercolors, and er, I forget what else (my notes are in the classroom and I am in the Marriott lobby where there is free wifi)

Well, the free wifi only lasted so long last evening, and then I got dropped, so after I had completely written this post, I lost it and now I'm having to rewrite it! ARGH!!!!

We had a great day in class, working and playing with new techniques. Last night we had three great Powerpoint presentations and lectures by Alice Kettle, Jane Dunnewold, and Lisa Klakaluk. I was so inspired by all of their works and their philosophies on textile art and the world. Go here to read more about the conference.

I took only a few pics of pieces from yesterday's class. By the time I got my camera out, most of my classmates had departed for the day, and I really didn't want to photograph their work unless I had their permission. Here is one of the many lovely pieces done by my classmate Karen:

Her pieces are very colorful and usually involve many layers, which add a lot of interest.

This wonderful piece was done by another classmate who lives in Canada and has enjoyed life as a silk artist:


I love her work and can't wait to see
this piece completed!

This is my current piece:

I used a screen that I had begun deconstructing the day before (I'll show you pics in my next post). There was so much dried dye on the screen that I was able to get a lot more pulls yesterday! Interestingly enough, the first pulls showed daiseys and vines. At a distance, pulls from the same screen now appear to be a city scape! I added leaves from outside of our classroom. After screening, but before the dyes had dried, I went back in and "painted" the undyed areas with very dilute dyes. This was done on a heavy habotai which was pretreated with soda ash.

I hope to take more pictures today, and also begin my series.....as this calss is titled "Working in a Series'!


ENJOY YOUR DAY!

7 comments:

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Wow Judy, it sounds like you're having a blast! I can't wait to read more about your experiences.

connie said...

Oh, my this sounds like such fun. I am looking forward to what else you get to do....

ENJOY

Corryna said...

I love it all! It seems to be so much fun to be able to work this way. I should really try to work on my painting skills too. This looks so wonderful. I want to do so too :-). Thank you for showing this work.

imquilternity said...

You are so lucky! It sounds (and looks) like you are learning a great deal and having lots of fun while doing it. Can't wait to see more...

Carol said...

Looks like such fun Judy. I don't think I understand at all what you are doing but the results look great and I'll be watching to see what happens next. XX

Eva Hagbjärn said...

Just like Carol I don't understand a thing of what you are doing ;-)
But it looks very nice and very fun =)))

Eva said...

I love your print. This class seems to be so inspiring! Have fun!