Sunday, July 12, 2009

This n That

This is one of the pieces that I am working on right now. Have I shown it to you before? If so, please forgive me. I want to finish quilting it THIS WEEK and get it hung in our condo. I really love the sky.


I love each season of the year for so many reasons, but one of the primo reasons that I love summer here in the south is all of the delish fresh veggies! We have a terrific local farmers market and C really enjoys going there once or twice a week. It seems that he is the one in town on the days the market is open, so I am pretty much at his mercy to bring home veggies that I will then cook! He likes fried okra, while I am a huge fan of okra cooked up with some mustard seed, cumin seed, coriander, onion and sliced tomatoes. I've heard folks say that okra is slimey, but even this Yankee doesn't find the okra in this recipe to be slimey. MMMMM: I love it! So, here it is sauteeing up in some olive oil with a Vidalia onion:

and here I've added the spices, some water and the Roma tomato slices. I like to let it simmer, covered, for a while.


We're also having grilled eggplant that I've marinated in olive oil and Balsamic vinegar.........and a small Prime Rib! We are cleaning out the freezer and will no longer buy any meat that is not GRASS FED! I am seriously thinking about going vegetarian, but I'm not sure that that is a promise I can keep!

I haven't shown you any pics of Barker lately, so I thought I'd slip this one in. The longer he is part of our 'pack', the more we love him...........he will be seven in October, which I find so difficult to believe!



Hope you've had a great day!!

PEACE!!!!

4 comments:

Carol said...

Yes, get onto that grass fed meat. Spread the word. You may find as I did that giving up meat one animal at a time is possible. I gave up my favourite first - pork, then duck. But as long as you think about what you eat - that's the most important thing. Beautiful Barker, what a sweetie. Now you've encouraged me to grow okra. My son loves it so we'll try your recipe.

Eva Hagbjärn said...

You don't have to be a vegetarian, just go on and eat ecological grass fed animal meat, ecological veggies, animal fat, olive oil and canola oil (no other oils). Then you will feel just fine both in your body and your mind ;-)

Barker looks great, and I hope he will "stay" with you for a long time yet.

XO KRAMAR - Eva

Eva said...

I find it easy reduce meat -- and I think why not give up those first which you don't like, that's much easier. Giving up should not be a sacrifice, or some day you'll break the vow. I gave up lean meat because it causes trouble to my stomach, and white meat, because you can't cook it until tender. Chinese medicine says, the more you cook meat, the less it has an effect of meat. But the lamb in the Turkish restaurant every once and a while...

Karoda said...

My great grandmother would cook up okra and dried pepper pods in her mustard greens. I've added them to vegetable stews but I never thought about cooking them as the main attraction in a dish. I might get bold enough to experiment. :)