Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Carrots

I try to make Tuesday my day to stay at home and clean the house.........pathetic, isn't it? But if I don't stick to a schedule, I would procrastinate soooo much, that I'd never have a clean house. And you might not know it by looking at my house, but I derive a certain amount of satisfaction from it being clean! So, this morning I decided I'd clean a little bit and then play, (er,work) in the studio a little bit, and continue to alternate throughout the day. I hoped that the studio time would be a sufficient carrot to get me cleaning. Actually, it worked!! It was pleasant in the studio (mid 80s by this afternoon, but not too humid) and great conditions for batching! I had low water immersion dyed this piece with both khaki and cobalt blue, and decided that I'd discharge a vine design on it with some Thiox. Then I thought I'd wax a petal design on it.



I LWI dyed it with teal and here is the result.


Since these photos, I've rewaxed petals in areas of this piece and it is now covered with a midnight blue print paste mixture. I'll show you the results tomorrow.


Here's another play piece. This is a silk crepe scarf that I first waxed with the petal design and then covered with print paste with a chartreuse dye mixture. After batching, I washed it all out, randomly applied more wax petals and overdyed it with turquoise print paste. Here it is ready to batch:
and here it is after the washout:
I've again waxed more petals onto this scarf and overdyed it in a darker blue. I plan to show you that tomorrow as well!

So, I'm thinking the carrots were successful: I have a clean house and lots of studio work/play accomplished!

Work Hard/Play Hard!!

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

What a fun way to get the house clean! Looking forward to seeing the final results. Cheers.

Joyce said...

I should try that except my studio is a bit of a walk from the house. I could add a lot of exercise to my accomplishments. Lol. Love the scarf.

Michele/TextileTraveler said...

Looks like you've been having fun, and what a bonus that you get to enjoy a clean house on top of it!

Carol said...

Scarves looking good. I think I should take your advice and make a definite cleaning day, though a 3 year old artist in my house can create chaos in minutes so sometimes I wonder why I bother. (With cleaning, not with the 3 year old. She's worth any amount of mess!)