Monday, September 21, 2009

Rain Rain: Go AWAY!!!!!

As you may know, we have been experiencing some unbelievable rain here in northeast Georgia. I think we've measured over 5" in our own rain gauge in the past 24 hours, and it has rained every day for the past week. That is unheard of here in recent times! Atlanta is far worse than we are here in Gainesville, and I am so thankful that we are not so challenged. There have already been 5 fatalities due to the flooding, one a 2-1/2 year old boy who was swept away when his parents' mobile home split in half. How awful for all those who are struggling with the loss of loved ones and devastation to their homes.! This is our view of the lake, so you can clearly see that the water is now up in the trees, but our house is just fine.........for now!


I've been playing around with some deconstructed screen printing and thought I'd share some of my results from yesterday. I was using some screens that had remaining residue from past screening on them, just to further enhance my lack of control! I think that is what appeals to me most!


I like the combination of the olive green and the brown in the piece to the left.





The one below really surprised me:



Do you see the bird's head that appeared????







My dye studio is undergoing a bit of a change. C and one of his good buddies are installing windows! YAYYYYY!!! I snapped this pic before I started really giving the space a thorough cleaning yesterday afternoon. The windows will go right against that wall, and hopefully provide me with some awesome light and less of a feeling of claustrophia during the months that I keep the doors closed. I'll post some more pics when they are finished.




PEACE TO YOU!!!!

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

Windows are good!! I think you have been wanting more rain, no? But probably not all at one time.

Jeannie said...

Now you know what Seattlites mean by "pouring down rain". Hope you don't need to start building an ark. I like the dsp and your studio. Have a good week.

Diane said...

Glad you are safe.

Jinny Carpenter said...

I've been thinking of you with all that rain down there. Hope it lets up soon. Stay safe.

Elizabeth said...

I do soooo wisht aht you could send some of that rain up North!! We ahve been having lovely fall weather but there are big cracks opening up in the garden!!!! Rain is one thing but Flooding is just too much!!!
i love the deconstructed residue screens- so organic!! How exciting to be getting more light!! that will be fantastic!!!
Have a great day despite the damp!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Beverly said...

Speaking as a Westerner who lives where that is more rain than we get in multiple months, I hope you and yours stay safe in all that water.

The windows will be great! How nice to have such a handy guy around. And, love the deconstructed screens. Once I get back from my October trip to Florida, I need to play with that again- haven't done it since my workshop with Rayna last April.

Carol said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the flooding and other tragedies caused by the rain. I hope your lake doesn't get any higher. It is raining gently here which is wonderful but big winds are expected so that's not so good. The deconstructed screens are great, love the bird. OX

Amanda said...

Your back yard looks like a hurricane. Guess we are over the drought.....
I am going to look for a electric skillet this week. I hope to order some soy wax soon.

Amanda said...

Your back yard looks like a hurricane. Guess we are over the drought.....
I am going to look for a electric skillet this week. I hope to order some soy wax soon.