Thursday, March 08, 2012

Photos from Home


This is my maternal grandmother and grandfather's wedding photo.
I have no idea who their attendants were.
My Nana, Augusta Bendikta Anderson Peterson, is 
the subject of my "Letters Home" series.

My Swedish cousin Eva ever so gently reminded me
(me of the addled brain, that is)
that she had painstakingly copied both Nana's letters and photos
that she had found in her in-law's attic.
She made a marvelous book for me and also
a fabulous cd containing all of the photo and letter images!
How could I have overlooked this?
It is such a boon to the project that I am now undertaking!
Thank you, thank you, thank you Eva!!
You are a God send!!

The letters that Eva found were primarily from my grandmother,
who had immigrated to the United States at the age of 16.
She wrote mostly to her mother.
My heart just breaks as I reread these letters.
It's difficult to imagine being so far apart,
trying to share about life and grandchildren.
Struggling to hear about family illnesses.
Life was so difficult.

Anyway.....
I'm honoring my Augusta with this series.
She taught me so much about textiles -
mainly to love them.

I took a fabulous image transfer workshop earlier this week.
It was conducted by Claudia Wilburn,
the artist I wrote about here.

Ms. Wilburn shared a new-to-me image transfer technique.
So I spent about 30 minutes tinkering with it last evening.


I have not done Ms Wilburn's technique justice,
but I was so excited to try it.
I've transferred the photo onto a piece of muslin.
Next time I will use silk, and I will burnish far longer.
The poor Best Man and Maiden of Honor
didn't get much rubbing, did they?


I was really pleased to learn that my blog post
about deconstructing the screen 
was linked by Judith to the 
and then we set it on fire blog.
Both are great reads, so I hope you'll check them out.
Thanks Judith!

peace

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

What a treasure Eva created for you! The photo of your Grandmother is wonderful and I like that she is smiling. So many of the Victorian photos look like the folks ate something that disagreed with them! LOL! Have fun!!!

Eva Hagbjärn said...

I'm glad that I found this terasure for you and that you have use for it. I'm also very glad that I have had the privilege to get to know you and your family.
This summer it will be 19 years since we met each other for the first time!
KRAM Eva

Teodo said...

Dear Judy I think that when we try a new technique...it's like go back to childhood and the first discovers..

I like your photo and the new head of your blog.
ciao ciao