I have finished the coasters that I began last week.
I was inspired to make them after rereading
"Quick Coasters" by Julie Hirota
in the 2008 Quilting Arts Gifts issue.
There are so many great ideas in those magazines!
But the idea of using the washable school glue
came from Alisa Burke.
She has tons of great ideas....
and we have loads and loads of ferns on our property.
Because I used Dye-Na-Flow
and diluted it so much,
I lost a lot of the resist power of the school glue.
There were nice ghost images in some spots,
but I wanted a bit more,
so I brayered a fern and some thick textile paint
on my fabric.
Now I have layers of ferns.
I cut my coaster tops and bottoms in 4-1/2" squares,
cut batting in 3-1/2" squares
zig zagged together a sandwich
and then did a bit of free motion quilting around the fronds.
They look very summery in our casual living room.