Thursday, August 02, 2012

Reusing my Veggies


Our CSA Farmers included a beautiful bag of
Purple Hull Peas
in our basket this week.
I am very fortunate in that my husband
loves to shell peas while he watches TV!
Works for me: I knit, he shells peas!

I decided to try dyeing with the husks of the beans -
why not?
I wrapped some opened shells inside of a long length of silk,
and put the remaining shells in the pot.

In went my bundle:


I didn't cook this one as long as I have others in the past,
and I only let it steep for about an hour.
I'll be opening the bundle in about three weeks.

Before I wrapped up the silk,
I spent a few minutes photographing
 the little limb around which it is tied.
The lichen on it was spectacular.
I wonder if it will add more color and design to the silk?
I'm going to bore you now,
with lichen photos.
You can quit looking anytime you wish
......................
but you already knew that!.
I think you may find these interesting:










Don't forget to come back in three weeks 
to check out the results!

peace

6 comments:

Diane said...

Love the lichen photos!

Jeannie said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the color you see is what is printed on your cloth? I love the lichen and moss on the branch. I have been known to bring home lichen covered twigs whenever I am on the wet side. They really can be a piece of art. I am trying to be patient, but I really want to peek to see what is happening in your bundles.

inge said...

I´m curious about the results ...

imquilternity said...

You're going to be unwrapping a lot of wonderful stuff soon, I think. I always find mosses and lichen incredibly beautiful if you take the time to look. Have a wonderful weekend!

lynda howells said...

l will be back for the grand opening!

Carol said...

The lichens are really beautiful! I have bits all over the house so perhaps this will be a way to use them. I'd love to be around for your openings.