Monday, December 03, 2012

Christmas Cookies & Cards, Cables, Crafts


Just like so many other families throughout the world, we have a tradition of making and decorating Christmas cookies.  The recipe is from my husband's mother, and we make these great cookies every year, without fail!  Because our newest grandbaby is due any day, we stepped up the cookie baking to the day after Thanksgiving, just in case!  Charlie had a great time helping in the decorating!

I also make Springerle, a traditional German hard cookie, which my husband fondly remembers from his childhood.  


These must cure for a few weeks, so I have made them ahead of time.  Those are anise seeds sprinkled on the cookie sheet.  They perfume the air throughout our house while the cookies bake.
MMMMMMMM!


I'm making a variety of cards this year.  Here are just a few:



.......and of course I'm knitting a few little gifts.  If you are a fellow knitter, you know that I adore cables.  I found these great men's mitts at Quince, and am really enjoying the new twists and turns.  I am using their Lark yarn, and love the feel of it as it travels through my hands.

I'm collecting directions and tutorials for handmade tree ornaments and other Christmas decorations, and hope to make many over the next few years with our grandchildren.


You can find this one, and many more here.

As always, thanks for stopping by!  I'd love to hear from you, so please take a minute to leave a comment.

peace 

wonders on our morning walk




6 comments:

deanna7trees said...

my grandmother always used anise when baking. brings back nice memories.

Cate Rose said...

It all looks like so much fun. I love those leaf prints -- something else I've been meaning to do for eons and gee, it would be so much easier than eco dyeing. But I haven't gotten to it. Have a lovely holiday season. xoxo

Jeannie said...

Little ones make holiday traditions come alive. The gloves are gorgeous! A hint of Celtic design? The cards are beautiful. Have fun!

Carol said...

Ooh, lovely! It looks so Christmasy and Charlie is obviously having a great time. Love that decoration - I'll be going back to look more closely. And of course your cards are beautifully elegant. Best wishes to K!

Peggy said...

Judy, what a great post -- your house must smell so good -- and I will definitely check out your links! I hope your new grandbabe arrives peacefully and all goes well. xoxo

Ginny Huber said...

A very sweet post! Charlie's decoration look perfect and red..and abundant...I wonder if you could "cure" the Springerle with the plant printed bundles..?!!