Tuesday, July 18, 2006

More Inspirations!

As you might guess, being in the tropics there were lots of wonderful sunhats to admire on our trip. Here are Marcia and Susan (oh, and Marion, to Marcia's left in the baseball cap) modeling their colorful chapeaus.


I liked Marcia's so much that I took several photos of it. Aren't the colors wonderful!!!

After our birding trip near Arenal, we passed by this craftsman who was selling his wares by the side of the road. I'm a real sucker for local artisans, and so we chatted for a while and then several of us admired and purchased some of his carved art.


This piece is based on a Mexican folklore about a woman who must have been having a bad time with PMS. She got angry with her husband and killed him, and then killed all of her children! According to my sister-in-law Carol, this woman is similar to our "boogey man", in that when children misbehave they are warned that this woman might "get them" if they are not careful! I wish I could remember her name, but perhaps Carol will help me out here. My brother-in-law Jacinto even sang me the song that goes along with the tale!! Here we see the wife, feeling remorse and weeping as her husband's body floats by in the river. This is all hand-carved and painted by this wonderful folk artist.
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love folk art, too. those colorful carvings are great. that hat reminds me of something -wonder what it could be - LOL!

Anonymous said...

Sister-in-law Carol here: The woman's name is La Llorona.

Judy said...

Thanks Carol for keeping me straight and honest! Now I do remember...I think you even spelled her name for me at the time! Sheesh!!!