Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Gettin' Rusty but Squeeky Clean

It was another gorgeous morning here in Northeast Georgia: 50 when Barker and I walked the golf course at 7:30 AM. I got busy washing windows while it was still cool. Here are the necessary implements:

A few years back I was in an internet quilting group (which has since disbanded because some of the key players couldn't get along) and one of the gals recommended her window washing formula. We have some huge windows looking out on the lake, so I thought I'd give her recipe a try, and I am happy to report that it works like a charm! Here it is:

Fill an empty 5-quart "ice cream" pail with approximately 4 quarts of water and enough dish detergent to make it a little sudsy. Add 2-3 tablespoons of distilled vinegar and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Don't use a spray bottle; just apply the solution with a clean rag and a lot of elbow grease.

From what Marcie, the originator of the recipe, said the cornstarch makes the windows shine. I know that something does. It goes on easily and really isn't that difficult to wipe off. I use an old face cloth to apply the solution and then wipe/rub the windows with a microfiber cleaning cloth.

On to more exciting news, I've been busy making some more "Emily Bags" for Christmas. Here is one that I quilted:

As for getting rusty, I've been experimenting with rusting fabrics with a few findings. You never know quite what you're gonna get, so it's always fun and surprising.


Those are fabrics that I dyed in my very first dyeing session several years ago. I'm not sure why I was saving them, and I like the contrast of the colors.

Hope you've had a nice day. I look forward to hearing from you!

PEACE

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I am definitely going to try your window cleaning recipe but not today, it's -9 (about 20 or 25 for you I guess). I use dish soap and sometimes vinegar but never corn starch but it makes sense that it would polish.
The bag is super cute.

Eva Hagbjärn said...

Next time I wash our windows I’ll try this solution ;)

The bag is very nice and I like the way you have put on the handles.

You’r so ingenious!

xo Eva