Monday, April 20, 2009

Calming Down

So, with the onset of the dreaded Shingles (or Shinkles as one of my craftier friends referred to them....and that does add a bit of levity!) I was told to slow it down a bit, take life a little easier....stop and smell the roses a few seconds longer. De-stress. Ahhhhh, but it's so difficult!

C and I just adore baseball, and last year when he read that the Braves AAA farm team was moving home to Atlanta from Richmond, he was one of the first to request season tickets. There's nothing much purer than minor league ball! Last Friday night was opening night at the brand spanking new Gwinnett Stadium, and we were there, along with our friends Bob and Joe. It's a wonderfully intimate park, the food (believe it or not) is pretty good, and our seats are fantastic!



Unfortunately, our G-Braves lost in the home opener! Oh well!!!

Saturday found us chillin' at home, and then off to the youth auction at our Grace Church Gainesville. I'm so very pleased to report that both Amazing Grace 1 and 2 were purchased for handsome sums by good friends of ours! Yayyy for all of us!!!

C, Barker and I hot-footed it down to Midtown for a couple of nights of R&R! Phew!!! Our friends Paul and Linda were in town from PA, so we got together with them from breakfast on Sunday. WOW....we have known them for 30+ years now, and amazingly enough, we ALL look the same!
yeah, right! They came back to the condo for coffee after a great breakfast at the Highland Bakery, and we yakked for hours! It was so good to see them!

Then there was the fantabulous annual Midtown Tour of Homes!

we walked,


and we walked


one of our favorite homes on the tour is this one: Stonehurst Place, on Piedmont Avenue:
Our old condo looked directly across the street to it, and now we look down upon it from our highrise. It is a delightful place, and if I didn't have Midtown digs of my own, I would definitely stay there! We also loved touring jewelry designer Mark Edge's vintage home, which was built by Georgia Governor William J. Northen in
1909, and Will Pollock's 1921 Colonial Revival home, which was featured last year on HGTV's Ground Breakers. We walk by these homes with Barker several times each day, so it was fun to see the incredible interiors. It was a lovely afternoon and C and I enjoyed all of the homes...........but we missed a couple because we had tickets to Horizon Theater's new show


Our condo friends Dee and Bill went with us, and we really enjoyed it! Both actresses were extremely talented and very strong. They never slowed down, and we never lost interest. If you haven't seen it and are in the area, please treat yourself!

Then we were off to The Shed in Glenwood Park for a lovely evening meal:

Beet salad with Chevre


Eggplant Lasagna, San Marzano Tomato, Ricotta



Berkshire Pork Schnitzel, Creamed Leeks, Mustard Mash


and the lovely Profiteroles for dessert:


and just one last shot from one of our many Midtown walks over the weekend: the lovely Mahonia:


So, as you can see, I am following Dr's orders and I really have slowed down. It's been a challenge, but I have obeyed!


PEACE!!!

8 comments:

Karoda said...

uhhh, I think you need to look up the meaning to "slow"...this would be a month's worth of activity for me :)

Carol said...

Oh, you have my commiserations - shingles - so painful, as I well remember from my dose last year. I love the way you slowed down... Sounds as though you're having a great time so go for it. I'm just at the computer for a moment so had to catch up. XXOO

Joyce said...

For a person who is relaxing, that sounds like a busy day! All those food pictures look just delicious, esp here in small town fast food area.

Jinny said...

Hi, Judy. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the weekend. I agree with earlier posts that your "slowing down" sounds like a bit of a whirlwind! I do hope your shingles doesn't last too long. Take care. Jinny

Eva Hagbjärn said...

I'm glad that your Amazing Graces were purchased for handsome sums, but I agree with all the others when it comes to your so called slowing down. I get tired just by reading about everything you did during the weekend ;-)

Have fun and take care!!!

Kram Eva

komodori said...

I'm so very glad you listen to my learned advice! Like the shinkles vill just shinkle themselves avay! But you have always been such a headstrong girl. And this is thanks I get! You just continue your little trapising about your chichi inner city neighborhoods, You little Typhoid Jujukins!

Eva said...

How nice that you have been able to enjoy a few beautiful hours. The meal looks appealing!

Judy said...

Judy,

Hope to leave those shingles behind real quick, horrid things.