Monday, July 27, 2009

Some Summer Fun

Yesterday was entirely too much fun! Our weather, although a bit warmer, is still quite pleasant for July, and we are enjoying every second of it. We walked Barker to our local Starbucks and enjoyed reading the NYT on the patio. Have you read Maureen Dowd's latest editorial about the Gates/Crowley encounter in Cambridge? She puts an interesting spin on it.

I finished knitting my first Be Sweet Feather & Fan Shawl using the lovely Misti Alpaca Baby Me Boo yarn. With help from Dr Sock, I have adapted the pattern so that it is knitting friendly for the visually impaired, and until my cataract surgery, I will be content to keep my fingers busy using this wonderfully uneven and slubby yarn and size 10 circular needles. If you are interested in the pattern, please let me know and I'll be happy to share.



As you may recall, C and I are season ticket holders at the Horizon Theater Company in Little Five Points. Last evening we had the great pleasure of seeing the very funny but also poignant production of Thomas W. Jones II's "A Cool Drink A Water".

I laughed so hard I cried, and then I cried so hard I was relieved that the sadness had been interspersed with comedic relief. The entire cast was too good to be true, but Mama Lee played by Bernardine Mitchell and Walt played by none other than the playwrite Thomas W. Jones II were my favorites. What an incredibly talented cast!!! This play is part of the 2009 National Black Arts Festival, and if you live in the Atlanta area, I strongly urge you to indulge yourself and go see it!

We met up with our kids after the show and enjoyed a very nice dinner at 4th & Swift. This is the Local Melon and Proscuitto salad which C enjoyed as one of his small plates.


I had the Braised Oxtail with herb gnocchi, summer peas and handmade ricotta plus the evening special of local corn and chantarelle mushrooms: MMMMMMMM! 4th and Swift is located in the Old Fourth Ward in the space which used to be the engine room of the Southern Dairies and Chef Jay Swift specializes in local and regionally raised foods. I highly recommend it!

Hope you're enjoying some summer fun, fun, fun!

PEACE!!!


Braised Oxtail

Herb Gnocchi, Summer Peas, Hand Made Ricotta

Braised Oxtail

Herb Gnocchi, Summer Peas, Hand Made Ricotta

2 comments:

Carol said...

I just clicked on 4th and Swift - oh yum! That menu is really nice, even for an old non-meat eater like me. I immediately saw summer salad possibilities. Don't even need to wait for summer, I can find some makings in our garden.

Karoda said...

I get the emails for the NBAF and it would be heaven to be accessible to such great and diverse selection of arts each year or is it every other year!