Finally! I put the finishing touches on "The Key to Centering" this morning....and delivered it to our friends this afternoon. I'm really pleased with it, and think that they like it a lot as well. It's the biggest piece I've ever done (36" x 72"), and I used many different techniques. The fabric is silk crepe de chine, which I initially dyed using the pole-wrapped Shibori technique. There are many layers of discharge and screen printing, using textile paints. The final layer is gold leafed.
Here's a little closer view:
I was on a real high when I finished, so I decided to head out to my dye studio to do some screen printing on another piece that I've been playing with over the past couple of months. I had an armful of stuff, and when I got out there, I realized that I'd forgotten something, so I ran back to the house to get it. When I opened the studio door again, this is what greeted me:
Don't know if he was there when I first came in, but there he was the second time! YIKES! I started screaming and then got on my cell and called C. He came dashing out, got a hoe, which the snake did not respond to, so then I got a rake. We finally got him outside and relocated him to the woods. I really hope that his time in my studio was so unpleasant that he will love his new home in the woods....and won't come slithering back inside to visit with me! I know that he was not a harmful snake and that snakes do serve a good purpose, but they just make me crazy....and I can't have them around me.
Hope you've had a great week: no snakes and lots of creativity!