Friday, July 29, 2011

White Cukes and Red Onions


When I arrived home from the gym the other day, these were sitting on the counter.  From the title of this post, I'm sure you've already guessed that they are white cucumbers.  I'd never heard of them before.  C told me that one of our neighbors had come by with them - he was overwhelmed with the crop in his garden.  Well, I LOVE cucumbers and these are no exception!  They taste wonderful!


I've made a yummy cucumber gazpacho using these guys and a red onion that we got in our CSA basket this week:



I've also found a recipe for cucumber and watermelon gazpacho.  Since I have both a yellow and a red watermelon cut up, I may have to try that recipe too!

Studio time has been occupying a good chunk of my life recently - and that is good.  I'm not sure how I'd be coping without my fiber art.  Last week I decided to create a screen in order to do some deconstructed screen printing.  I love that technique and don't do it often enough.


Since I've been playing around with hot wax and dyes, I thought I'd start with a layer of that (that's the blue in the lower part of the picture above) and then add the deconstructed screen.  I had also put a bit of waxed pale yellow on the upper part of that piece.


Above you can see another area of the piece with a bit more of the yellow.  Basically, I was trying to get a feel for how well the waxed areas would hold their color when the screen was deconstructed on top of it.  I'd say it did pretty well, and I was pleased with my results.  I've prepared another screen and am letting it dry, in order to use it next week.


The company that employs our daughter has a box at the Rome Braves Baseball Stadium - Rome, GA, that is.  This is the Atlanta Braves single A team.  Rome is easily a two hour drive from our home, and as most locals say "you can't get there from here" - which means there isn't a decent road, the drive is long, and you pretty much have to go south to Atlanta and then drive northwest in order to get to Rome.  But, hey, when you get a chance to watch wonderful minor league baseball in an air conditioned box AND have a visit with your grandson and his parents, it's all worth it!  




Charlie was definitely stylin' on his drive up to the game, don't you think?  The two Rome Braves mascots came to our box to have a little visit with Charlie:




I was afraid that he would cry or act really shy, but he loved every minute of it!
He is crawling now.....and getting two more teeth!  They grow up so darned fast!


PEACE

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

Oh, such goodness in this post. Food, surface design and Charlie.

I have been getting the white cukes at our farmer's market. I really like them.

Jeannie said...

As Gerrie said, where does one start? I love gazpacho and your's sounds wonderful. The fabric - yummy. Charlie, well there are no words to describe how adorable he is. The photo with the mascots is fantastic. Keep cool.

Eva said...

Wonderful dyeing. I love the mauve+yellow! And the vegetables have much the same colors. Yum!
LOL, Charlie with dark specs!

Cassy said...

I have not seen that kind of cucumber yet. What I used to see in here is the cucumber with the green skin.

Good to read your post and be introduced with new veggies.

Cassy from Rock Guitar Lessons