Friday, December 07, 2012

Gingerbread men, 5 Gold Rings, Glögg & Glühwein


What would the Christmas season be without Gingerbread men

.....and then of course there's the 5 Golden Rings in the Twelve Days of Christmas song.


I must be true to my Swedish heritage and speak for a moment about Glögg.  I confess that I don't think I've ever tasted it, but I do remember it being served at my Nana's Christmas Eve table. My mother always said that it was ghastly, but then she never liked a lot of food and drink that I enjoy, so I think that this year I will have to find some Glögg and give it a try.


I swiped (er, borrowed!) this photo from a lovely Scandinavian site called A Swede in the Kitchen.  She also includes a recipe for the most lovely Saffron Buns.  I used to make these every year, but have gotten out of the habit.  I hope to resume that tradition this year.....along with making some Glögg!

We love to travel about in German, and we spent about a week there in mid December several years ago, visiting many of the Christmas Markets.  Their tradition is to serve Glühwein, which I grew to love.  At first, I found it a bit difficult to enjoy, but it grew on me, and I began to look forward to it on bitterly cold days when we roamed the stalls of the Christmas markets.


Here's a lovely German lady enjoying a cup of Glühwein.  MMMM, I can almost taste it!  The Christmas Markets are really fun.  Each city has a different styled mug in which they serve their Glühwein, and I have quite a collection of those mugs!

peace









3 comments:

Jeannie said...

The Dutch also drink Gluhwein. There is also a version of brandied raisins (Boerenjongens)that are eaten with special spoons. I am always interested in the different holiday customs and how each group has similar things even though they are culturally different. (Gingerbread is one of my favorites.) How is Kristin faring?

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Two things I enjoyed years ago on a trip to Austria: Gluhwein and Gulaschsuppe, both great yummies to ward off the cold!
Thanks for reminding me...

imquilternity said...

It all sounds heavenly and very festive. I've heard those Christmas markets are absolutely to die for!