I've finally decided on the design
for Maggie's wallhanging!
That was the hardest part of the entire process.
Since our kids chose not to learn her gender
until she was born,
I wanted to wait to make something for her room.
So now I've begun dyeing some of the fabric
that will go into her piece.
I'll be using jewel tones,
as her parents have chosen
not to dress her all in pinks.
I replaced my very old Waxmelter Batik Pen
with a new model,
as I had totally abused and over-used my first one.
I went crazy drawing lots of circles.
My new waxmelter pen was accompanied
by a page of instructions -
either the first one had the same page
and I didn't read it,
or the instructions are new!
Anyway, one of the pointers was to slightly turn
the pen on its side
in order to make thicker lines.
(if you turn it to far, you pour the hot wax on your fabric -
NOT a good thing!)
I also found that holding the pen in place for a bit longer
made for thicker lines.
I don't want my circles to be perfect -
wonky is far better, in my book, anyway!
I had also sawed off a segment
of one of last summer's swimming pool noodles,
and tried dipping it in the hot wax:
.....not such a great idea!
It pretty much disintegrated.
So, I'll go back to using the
trusty old car wash sponges,
that I can carve into crazy shapes.
Stay tuned for progress on this piece!
I can't resist adding the next two pics:
Maggie at 7 weeks
Charlie in his new shades and haircut