Monday, July 13, 2015

3 Ps


I'm into my summer mode now, and have really gotten into a groove.  Being a creature of habit, this is a happy place for me.  I discovered this morning that my daily routine revolves around 3 ps:

Paddling:
After I do a bit of writing (ah, there's a 4th p: pages), I love to take a paddle around 'our' lake in my kayak.  It is interesting to see what is blooming, especially if I go out every 3-4 days.  The wildflowers and shrubs change a lot in just a few days time.  I so enjoy checking out the swallows that perch on the power line that cross one narrow cove.  These little guys seem to have so much fun.


It's rare that I can get a close-up glimpse of a slider on a fallen tree.  They are quick to slide off as soon as they either see or hear me approaching.


This particular fallen tree:

must house some tasty insects, because every time I pass it,
its size seems to have diminished greatly with what I'm sure is the help of some hungry woodpeckers.



one of my favorite wildflowers.  I can't believe it is already blooming.
The first time I recall seeing it was when I was vacationing in West Virginia with my then fiancé (now husband) and his family.
It grows here in great profusion, along the banks of the lake.

Piecing: 

I'm working diligently on my quilt for our 2-1/2 year old granddaughter, Maggie.


It is indeed a labor of love.  


I am dyeing 95% of the fabrics myself, and that has been a lot of fun,
and also a learning experience.  I'm finding that I get the most intense hues by ice-dyeing the cottons:


This process takes 24 hours to complete, so while one piece of fabric is 'batching', I piece together other yardage that has already been dyed.  Maggie is very partial to pinks and purples, so I'm having fun getting these jewel tones, which I don't usually work with.



I've also added in some turquoise and yellow...
just to make things a bit more interesting.



Podcasts:
.....and then there are the podcasts.  I would be so bored without them!  (I also listen to books, but some of these podcasters have become such good friends to me - whether they know it or not!I'll recommend three of my most favorites....and not by order of love, but just as they come to me.  
First is Yarns at Yin Hoo, by Sara Pomegranate.  Pomegranate is not her real last name, but that is what she goes by on social media.  I began listening to Sara about a year ago, because someone recommended her as a knitting podcast.  But she talks about so much more: cooking, good reads (and she is having a summer read along), sewing, nature, etc.  Second is A Playful Day.  I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not even sure of the name of the hostess, and I cannot find it anywhere on her site.  This is a British podcast, and I find her accent to be absolutely delicious.  She always seems to be so upbeat and that is also very infectious.  She too is a maker, and she interviews so many other interesting makers, which really broadens my field of interest as I listen.  A Playful Day and Curious Handmade have joined forces and have twice offered a get together called The Muse Connection.  Sadly, they are both Brits and they quite curiously hold this gathering in London or thereabouts, so I have not been able to attend......yet!   I found Helen Stewart of Curious Handmade when I was researching the Squam workshops last summer.  (Since we vacation at Squam in the summer, I wanted to know more about the workshops.)  I think it was Helen who introduced me to A Playful Day.  And then there's also the While She Naps podcast, hosted by Abby Glassenberg.  While a lot of the folks Abby interviews are not involved in areas that particularly interest me (like knitting or dyeing), her podcasts never fail to hook me.  I was amazed (and elated) to learn that she had interviewed Lisa Congdon, Rebecca Ringquist, and many other favorites of mine.

So, there you have it: my 3-4 p's!

Thanks for dropping by.  Comments are always appreciated, otherwise, how would I know that you have come by to visit??????

......and as always: peace to you and yours




5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Mags will love her special quilt. The colors are gorgeous and some of my favorites. You morning paddle looks so serene. We have talked of renting kayaks this fall when river traffic dies down. C isn't too thrilled, but I'd love to explore the islands and inlets. Have a wonderful week with your 3-4 P's and loving life. xoxo

Berbrn said...

What fun you are having! Thank you so much for sharing the pix, podcasts and possibilities! :-)

Meg Fowler said...

I visit! Every day! I'm just the quiet type, but I enjoy hearing from you. One day you're going to come back up this way and we'll get together for lunch. ... Ironweed, one of my favorites, too. The color!!! It's not blooming here yet, so I have something to look forward to.

Maggi said...

Your summer days sound positively idyllic. The colours in Maggie's quilt are so beautiful, she's one lucky little girl to have such a talented grandmother. The host of a Playful Day is Kate although I don't know her surname. I discovered the Woolful podcast recently and am really enjoying it

Jeannie said...

Me again! This is a test to see if I fixed my problem. ;)